Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Black raspberry jam: A lesson in restraint


There should be something like a Hippocratic Oath for cooking that says, "First, do no harm...." Why do I say that? Because I just finished a batch of jam. It has only three ingredients: black raspberries, lemon juice, and sugar. It's perfect. Sparkling, dark, rich, and flavorful. Tastes like a bright summer day.

 

And, in a way, making this jam was ridiculously simple. It attains perfection by minimal means, by doing so very little with a gorgeous ingredient picked this morning with my very own (very scratched) hands at Green Truck Farm out in Markham, Virginia.


This time of year, backing off and letting the ingredients speak for themselves is the real art of cooking and eating. As a cook, I am often inclined to try to gussy things up, do more, make the food complicated, but with in-season produce at its peak, exhibiting restraint lets you experience depth and complexity of flavor that tells a story about the sun, the soil, the air, and the rain of your world.


This jam is an exquisite example of showing restraint in cooking and letting the flavor of the season shine through. It is not, however, a good example of showing restraint in eating. Since completing this batch a few hours ago, I have been back at the "extra" jar again and again with a spoon. I don't think it will make it through the evening. I am going to have to go back out to Green Truck Farm and get more black raspberries. (Do I have anything I need to do tomorrow...?)


Ingredients*

  • 3 1/2 lbs black raspberries, divided 
  • 2 1/2 lbs organic cane sugar
  • 5 oz. lemon juice, strained
Instructions

  1. Prepare 8 8-oz jars (wash, sterilize, etc.) according to your favorite method, manufacturer recommendations, or the National Center for Home Food Preservation. Keep them warm.
  2. Place a plate with five metal spoons in the freezer for testing the jam.
  3. Combine 1 lb black raspberries, sugar, and lemon juice in a jam pan (if you have one) or a large stock pot. Bring the mix to a boil and let it boil very fast and hot for one minute. 
  4. Add the rest of the blackberries to the mix in the pot. Bring the mix up to a very fast boil again. Skim a few times. Stir regularly, to make sure the jam doesn't stick to the bottom of the pot. (Be careful: The jam will spatter, and it is very hot.)  
  5. Let it boil for 10-12 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat while you test for doneness by placing a sample of the jam on one of the frozen spoons. After about half a minute in the freezer, the jam on the spoon should have stiffened to, well, a jammy consistency. If it's still very runny, let the jam in the pot cook for another couple of minutes. 
  6. Carefully transfer the jam in the pot to the prepared jars. Leave 1/4 inch of space at the top (not much more, or you won't get a good seal), clean the edges of the jars with damp paper towels, place lids and bands on the jars, and process in a water bath or oven.
  7. Let them cool overnight without moving them so that they have a chance to set properly. Check the seals in the morning (I love the little pops that the jars make when they seal). If any of the jars didn't seal, use it right away.  
* Based on Rachel Saunders's recipe from The Blue Chair Jam Cookbook.  
  

17 comments:

  1. I had to smile reading this! I'm hoping to get into some canning and jam making this year, so this is quite an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I am sort in love with making jam after trying it for the first time last year. I have learned a lot really fast, but each batch teaches me something new. I also want to try canning tomatoes and making pickles, but I haven't gotten around to the pickles yet (not enough tomatoes ready for canning, so I am off the hook for that for a few more weeks). :)

      Delete
  2. I agree that it is good to show restraint and let the simple flavors of the food shine through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Especially this time of year, when the food from the farmers markets is so good.

      Delete
  3. Lovely ! Drool Drool :) Will try this recipe. sounds simple and yumm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, lovely:) Found you through Cafe Terra--she tweeted this post. I used to make raspberry jam at a restaurant, and this is exactly how I made it. Berries, sugar, lemon juice and time to cook down. So perfect--and addictive, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so good. I would love to try this with regular raspberries too. I love raspberries.

      Delete
  5. I have never made jam, but I have to say I would totally want to make this recipe!!! I love recipes with minimal ingredients:-) AND restraint? Nah, no restraint necessary, you are an adult, enjoy away! Take care, Terra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Thanks, we have been enjoying it. Trying to keep a little for winter too. :)

      Delete
  6. Hi, yup this paragraph is actually fastidious and I have learned lot of things from it about blogging.
    thanks.

    My page: car Hire in barcelona

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks designed for sharing such a pleasant thought, post is good, thats why i have read it fully

    my site; The Fly Reel Blog

    ReplyDelete
  8. hi!,I like your writing so a lot! proportion we be in contact more about your article on AOL?
    I need an expert on this house to resolve my problem.
    May be that's you! Having a look forward to
    look you.

    Feel free to visit my website: drain cleaning service Buckeye

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post. I used to be checking constantly this weblog and
    I am impressed! Extremely helpful info specially the last part :) I take care of such information much.
    I was seeking this certain info for a very lengthy time.
    Thank you and best of luck.

    Check out my web blog - boliglån ()

    ReplyDelete
  10. Going to attempt making jam for the first time. This recipe looks easy and the end result yummy! What is the shelf life of this jam, please?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi! I realize this is somewhat off-topic however I
    needed to ask. Does building a well-established blog like yours
    require a massive amount work? I'm brand new to running a blog but I
    do write in my journal everyday. I'd like to start a blog
    so I will be able to share my personal experience and thoughts online.
    Please let me know if you have any kind of suggestions or tips for brand new aspiring blog owners.
    Thankyou!

    Also visit my web-site - Kritika Chaos Unleashed Cheats

    ReplyDelete
  12. After exploring a handful of the blog posts on your site, I truly like your
    technique of blogging. I book-marked it to my
    bookmark website list and will be checking back in the near future.
    Please visit my web site as well and tell me how you feel.


    Here is my website Cognitine Supplements (naimasbellydanceblog.blogspot.Com.Au)

    ReplyDelete