Sunday, September 23, 2012

Apple gingersnap cookies: Welcome to the #SundaySupper Autumn Apple Party


Fall. My favorite time of year. Rustling leaves. Rich colors. Sunlight that breaks in at an angle. Time to turn slowly inward, to the home, to the hearth, to reading books and poetry.


And of course fall serves up some of my favorite foods: rich stews, soups, roasts, made from and with squashes, pumpkins, root vegetables, brussels sprouts, and of course apples.

Summer apples start to appear in farmers markets in mid-summer, but they don't really start to show in large quantities in the markets with their great variety until mid to late August and then there's a flood of them and apple cider for weeks. So many different varieties, names, colors, textures. So much fun to try different varieties and find new favorites.

Apples are not native to the Americas--they originated around the area of Iran--but they have taken hold well here both agriculturally and culturally. One interesting fact about apples is that they are not true breeding. In other words, you could plant the seeds of an apple you love, and not one of the trees that came from that apple would produce apples like it. Most of the apples produced would, in fact, probably be inedible.

Sadly the vast variety of apples that used to exist is declining, in part because there are very few commercially grown varieties of apples. I hate to see the many varieties of apples and their wonderful names disappearing. So I say, get thee to a farmers market and try some new varieties of apples. Or find a farm where you can spend a day picking apples. Then come home and read Robert Frost's poem, "After Apple Picking" and enjoy the satisfaction of a day in the orchard.

This week's Sunday Supper is all about apples. I wanted to try making a cookie that I imagined a few months ago at the height of summer when I absolutely did not wish to bake: Apple gingersnap cookies. Apple and ginger are fantastic flavors together, and this cookie is no exception.


The cookie dough is easy to make, but you need to plan ahead. The dough should chill for at least 12 hours to let the flavors meld. I used boiled apple cider syrup in this recipe, which I discovered last fall, but you can use maple syrup, molasses, or even honey if you prefer, although doing so will change the flavor and the texture of the cookie a bit. For this cookie, I give the ingredients in milliliters and grams because I started with a gingersnap cookie from my favorite Swedish cookbook, Bonniers Stora Kokbok, and modified the recipe from there. Just about every measuring cup will give you the option of using milliliters, just be aware of the difference.


Ingredients    

  • 100 ml water
  • 400 ml sugar
  • 300 grams unsalted butter
  • 100 ml apple cider syrup
  • 1 Tbsp ground cloves
  • 1 Tbsp ground dried ginger
  • 1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
  • 250 ml coarsely grated apple (from about 1 peeled, cored apple)
  • 1,200 ml flour (plus more for flouring the board)
  • 2 tsps baking soda

Directions

  1. Mix half of the flour (600 ml) with the baking soda and set aside.
  2. Heat water, sugar, butter, apple cider syrup, and spices in a pan on medium heat on the stove until the butter melts and the sugar dissolves. Then add the grated apples.
  3. In a large bowl, combine the butter-sugar-spice-apple mixture with the flour-baking soda mixture. Then mix in the rest of the flour in bunches. (It's helpful to use a sturdy silicone spatula for this job.) If the dough starts to get too heavy to stir, feel free to get your hands in there and knead like you would a bread dough. (Your hands will smell amazing afterward, by the way.)
  4. When the flour has been completely incorporated into the dough, sprinkle some flour on top, cover the bowl with plastic, and refrigerate the dough for 12 hours. 
  5. On the day you plan to bake the cookies, pre-heat your oven to 425 degrees (F). Line three cookie sheets with parchment paper (or use silicone mats if you have them). 
  6. Liberally flour a baking board and roll out slightly less than a quarter of the dough very thinly. Using cookie cutters, cut out shapes and fill one baking sheet.
  7. Working on one baking sheet at a time, bake the cookies for 7 minutes. (Feel free to try to vary the time a few minutes up or down to get the consistency you want.)
  8. Let the cookies cool for a few minutes on the sheet, then transfer them to a cooling rack and re-use the baking sheet for another batch. You will probably end making about 100 cookies, depending on the size of the cookie cutters you are using.
Sunday Supper wouldn't be complete without all the wonderful contributions from the rest of the group. This week's batch of apple goodness is particularly wonderful. Check all these out! 


Soups, Salads, Starters, and Breads

Cinnamon Apple Chips- Shockingly Delicious
Mini Apple Pumpkin Pancakes – The Daily Dish Recipes
Overnight Apple Cinnamon French Toast- In the Kitchen with KP
Curried Apple and Leek Soup-Soni’s Food for Thought
Endive Spears Topped With Apple, Blue Cheese and Hazelnut Salad- The Hand That Rocks the Ladle
Homemade Apple Jam – My Trials in the Kitchen
Caramel Apple Butter Cheesecake Dip- Chocolate Moosey
Caramel Apple Bread – famfriendsfood
Apple Pie Bread Baker Street
Apple, Bacon & Brie Popovers- I Run for Wine
Apple and Almond Brie Puff Pastry- Family Foodie
Apple, Leek and Gruyere Tarts- There and Back Again

Main Meals

Slow Cooker Honey Apple Pork Loin- The Meltaways
Apple-Glazed Meatballs- The Messy Baker
Apples & Buttons (Ham, Apples and Dumplings)- Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
Skillet Pork with Sweet Spiced Apples- Mama Mommy Mom
Chicken Apple Meatloaf with Tarragon Tomato Sauce – Diabetic Foodie
Baked Tilapia Apple Crisp- Daddy Knows Less
Pork Tenderloin with Calvados Cream Sauce Sustainable Dad
#SundaySupper Pulled Pork Sandwich With Pickled Red Onions Kwistin’s Favorites

Sides

Harvest Rice- Webicurean
Wild Rice with Apples, Dried Cranberries, and Walnuts – Ruffles and Truffles
Apple Topped Sweet Potato Mash- Momma’s Meals
Warm Spice Pecan Raisin Apple Chutney- Sue’s Nutrition Buzz

Desserts

Double Apple Pot Pie- What Smells So Good?
Apple Walnut Coffee Cake- The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
Apple Streusel Cobbler- Big Bear’s Wife
Apple & Moroccan Cinnamon Gooey Sticky Buns- Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
Spiced Caramel Apple Pie-Chelsea’s Culinary Indulgence
Apple Pear Kuchen for #SundaySupper (Apfel Birnen Kuchen)- Galactosemia in PDX
Apple Strudel - Magnolia Days
Old Fashioned Apple Crisp with Caramel Sauce-Noshing with the Nolands
Apple Cheesecake- Vintage Kitchen
Caramel Apple Crumble Bars- Hezzi D’s Books and Cooks
Apple Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting- From Fast Food to Fresh Food
Cinnamon Apple Dessert Chimichangas- Juanita’s Cocina
Nutella Apple Quesadilla- Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts
Apple Crisp Ice Cream- Cravings of a Lunatic
Bavarian Apple Torte- The Lovely Pantry
Streusel Apple Crumb Pie + Pie Freezer Kits- Meal Planning Magic
French Apple Cobbler with Cinnamon-Maple Whipped Cream Weekend Gourmet
Chunky Apple-Apricot Bread Pudding- Comfy Cuisine
Apple Butter Spice Cake – Home Cooking Memories
Apple Pie and Custard- Happy Baking Days
#GlutenFree Deep Dish Carmel Apple Pie- Cooking Underwriter
Country Apple Dumplings- Mom’s Test Kitchen
Apple-Gingersnap Cookies- Tora’s Real Food
Apple and Cranberry Turnovers- Flour on my Face
Applesauce Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake with Caramel Glaze- Hip Foodie Mom
Caramel Frosted Apple Cookies- No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
Apple and Pecans Cake- Basic N Delicious
Apple Pull Apart Monkey Bread- Gotta Get Baked

Beverages

Spiced Apple Ale Small Wallet Big Appetite

Please be sure you join us on Twitter throughout the day during #SundaySupper. We’ll be meeting up at 7:00 pm (Eastern) for our weekly #SundaySupper live chat where we’ll talk about our favorite apple recipes! All you have to do is follow the #SundaySupper hashtag, or you can follow us through TweetChat! We’d also love to feature your apple recipes on our #SundaySupper Pinterest board and share them with all of our followers!

63 comments:

  1. Adore the idea of apples in a gingersnap. Interesting info about apple seeds. So how do you get the type of apples you want to grow if you can't just plant the seeds?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have to use grafts from trees that produce the kind of fruit you want.

      Delete
  2. I use to plant my apple cores in the ground when I was a little girl believing that they would grow one day in to amazing apple trees so that is really interesting to learn. Ginger snaps are my mother-in-law's favourite cookie and her birthday is coming up, I might make up a batch for her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband loves ginger snap cookies. He also loves apples so I am sure he would be so happy if I made these cookies for him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They make a big batch, but most of them are already gone because they've been such a hit. I hope your husband enjoys them, Renee.

      Delete
  4. these are absolutely adorable! great recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I was so happy that I just happened to have an apple-shaped cookie cutter in my collection. I don't use them very often, but I love cookie cutters. They are so much fun.

      Delete
  5. These are unbelievably cute! What a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am so glad they turned out. It was one of those out-of-the-blue, you-know-what-would-be-perfect kinds of ideas.

      Delete
  6. You certainly enlightened my up on apple history. What a great twist on the gingersnaps! happy sunday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am kind of an ingredient geek, where do they come from and that kind of thing.

      Delete
  7. Those are so cute my daughter would love them, and the hubby too he loves Ginger!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! If you want to kick up the ginger a notch, think about chopping some candied ginger to add to the dough as well. I bet that would be terrific too.

      Delete
  8. Tora, these sound fabulous! And gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would love to try these cookies since my daughter loves apple cookies!!Love apple and ginger together :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ginger and apple is just one of those iconic combinations, like apple and pork. So good.

      Delete
  10. These are just darling! The flavor sounds divine. Happy #SS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I just wish they lasted a little longer. My husband says I can't make them too often or he's going to get too big. :)

      Delete
  11. I love these cookies! Full of fall flavors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! More intense spice really does start to appeal so much more as fall arrives.

      Delete
  12. Love these, they are too cute! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They were so much fun to make. Did I mention how much I love cookie cutters?

      Delete
  13. I love gingersnaps and I love apples, so these cookies will have to make it to my cookie jar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so pleased. I hope you enjoy them. Let me know how they turn out.

      Delete
  14. So cute! Love the apple cookie cutter shapes! thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love the cookie cutters. I only wish I had some leaf shaped ones; they would be perfect right now.

      Delete
  15. Gingersnaps are so delicious, and adding apple to them is so smart! I'd love to try a few of these...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love gingersnaps, although they never last long around here. I hope you do try them and let me know what you think!

      Delete
  16. Ginger cookies remind me of my childhood...and are still a favorite to this day! You've put me in the mood to crank out a batch very soon! Great #Sunday Supper dessert :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ginger cookies feature strongly in my childhood as well. My mom made them every Christmas, and I started cutting them out at an early age. Now I have my son help cut them out.

      Delete
  17. These are so cute. I love ginger cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gingersnaps are definitely one of my favorite cookies when the weather gets cooler. Love how you cut them into apples for the theme!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I was so excited when I realized I had an apple-shaped cookie cutter!

      Delete
  19. I'm not the baker in our family so I'm passing this one over to my wife in hopes she'll make it. If not, perhaps it's time I try to do some baking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I hope she makes them for you (or you give it a whirl). The dough is easy to make, although the cutting takes some time.

      Delete
  20. Those little pumpkins are SO cute! I love gingersnap and have never in a million years thought of putting apple and apple cider syrup in them to make them apple-ey! What a great idea. Thank you for sharing such a great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun! I hadn't noticed that they look like pumpkins too! That gives me the idea to try making a pumpkin gingersnap sometime soon too!

      Delete
  21. Look how pretty these are cut out into apple shapes. Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I thought they were really fun too. Gone in a flash, alas.

      Delete
  22. Love these cookies - they are cute and sound amazing! Love this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! This is my favorite time of year too. I absolutely love fall. Great food, cooler air, gorgeous leaves and light.

      Delete
  23. What a great treat for Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great combination of apple and ginger! Love the shape of the cookies too!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh goodness, what adrorable cookies!!! These look great!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love gingersnap cookies and apple flavored ones ! yummm ! Cute apple shaped too. My kids would snap these up :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh wow, I love this recipe! What a wonderful idea to bring these flavors together! I have never seen a recipe like this, AND I for sure need to make it! Yum, Hugs, Terra

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love reading your informative food facts every week. I feel like I learn something new every week. mmmm apple cider syrup. I bet these gingersnaps were amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh, my husband would LOVE for me to make these. I've never made gingersnaps, but any chance my husband gets, he'll buy them premade at the grocery store. He loves them with coffee. Anyway, I think he'd be very happy if I made him these, would totally surprise him.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love this post - the apple shape of the cookies is adorable, I'd LOVE to eat an apple gingersnap cookie (great flavour combo) and my knowledge of apples has grown 500%! Thanks for the info and for this delicious recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a sweet Fall cookies. My grandkids would love them!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love that you cut these into shapes-so cute. I also love the combination of apples with gingersnaps!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Perfect cookies for fall! Love the apple shapes!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I adore gingersnap cookies! It's one of those treats that I love to indulge in.

    ReplyDelete
  35. These cookies are so cute and they sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Gingersnaps are so delicious, Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete