I'm really not trying to post every day, but I made some creamed corn for dinner that was so delicious, I just have to share how incredibly easy it is to make from scratch. You should do it. Why get the stuff in a can when you can make your own with fresh corn from the farmer's market? So grab a few ears and try this. You won't regret it. (Sorry there's no pic of the dish itself, but it just disappeared too fast.)
- 2 Tbsps butter
- 1 large shallot, minced
- corn kernels from four ears of corn
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream (or half and half, if that's what you've got)
- salt and pepper
- a pinch of nutmeg (preferably freshly grated)
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- Melt the butter in a pot over medium heat.
- Add the shallots to the butter. Cook them until they are soft and slightly browned.
- Add the corn kernels to the shallots and the butter. Stir and add the water and the sugar to the corn. Let it cook for about 7-10 minutes. (The corn should be cooked, but it's nice if it still has a little crunch.)
- Add the cream and let it cook with the corn for 3-5 minutes, enough to thicken the cream.
- Season with salt, pepper, nutmeg, and smoked paprika. Enjoy!